Explain your idea further
Regardless of what year they are in, most students will be at university for most of the day and buying lunch everyday can become very expensive. I propose microwaves be installed in the main buildings across the University to allow students to bring in their own food from home.
This will not only save students money in the long run but will also reduce the amount of non recyclable packaging disposed of by students.
In addition, the few microwaves which are already situated in university buildings to be cleaned regularly to a safe and hygienic standard.
How would your idea benefit students?
Having microwaves across the university will:
- Save students money
- Increase students’ independence by enabling them to practise their cooking skills
- Reduces food waste by encouraging students to eat left overs and be innovative with food they already have in their fridge
- Enables students to have a variety of lunches throughout the week (nobody wants to eat a cold sandwich everyday throughout winter!)
- Reduces the amount of non recyclable disposable packaging used
How could your idea be implemented?
- Asking the University to buy and install microwaves across the main buildings.
- If implemented, a map of microwave locations to be advertised to students.